I arrived at work one day last week and checked my account balances, as I do every day. I logged into the Discover site and an offer I’ve never seen before popped up. So, I read it over and clicked on the “Sign Me Up” button.
Thank you for signing up for our exclusive promotional Cashback Bonus® offer. We are happy that you have decided to shift your spending to Discover® card and want to confirm the details of your offer. You will earn $300 Cashback Bonus after you make a total of at least $2,000 in purchases each calendar month from 12/1/14 to 4/30/15 with your Discover card.
If I spend $2,000 on my Discover card each month from December to April, I’ll earn an additional $300 cash back. That’s on top of the 5-20% cash back I get for using Discover‘s “Shop Discover” online mall portal. And also on top of the 5% bonus cash back calendar, which is offered on Online Shopping & Department stores, through December 31 and then Gas in January to March and then Dining & Entertainment in April. I also get 1% cash back at any place not listed above.
Spending $2,000 on my card each month will be fairly easy. I’ve already updated all of my auto-pay accounts to bill to my Discover card. And then there’s Christmas…
From what I’ve read about this discount, it’s by invite only and cardholders randomly receive this or a similar offer. I totally recommend getting a Discover card.
I think gift cards are the best gift. They’re easy for the gifter to buy. And the giftee can get what they want and not have the hassle of returning something that they don’t really want or need. Restaurant gift cards are great, because everyone eats.
Christmas is coming and the bonus gift card offers are staring early this year. Bonus gift cards mean you get a gift for yourself when you buy a gift for someone else. Or, if you’re me, you just buy gift cards for your favorite restaurants and use the gift card AND the bonus cards yourself. Make sure to read the fine print because the bonus cards can’t usually be used until January, but at least you’ll save money next year.
PF Changs is again offering a $20 bonus card for each $100 gift card purchased.
Roys is offering the same deal.
California Pizza Kitchen is offering…take a guess.
Red Lobster is blazing their own path here. You’ll get a $5 bonus coupon for every $25 spent on gift cards.
We’re only 6 days into November. More of these offers will be popping up soon. Check your favorite restaurant’s website or give them a call to find out if they’ve got a bonus for you.
Restaurants like to boost their sales in the final month of the year. To entice you to buy their gift cards, they usually offer a “bonus” gift card for use at a later date. This can be a pretty decent savings if you are a regular at a restaurant offering these bonus cards. You’re going to eat there anyway. Why not get some savings? Nobody said that you actually had to give the cards as gifts.
- PF Chang’s is currently offering a $20 bonus card, when you buy $100 in gift cards. Adding to that deal, if you’re a Bank of America customer, BankAmeriDeals is offering 10% cash back on PF Chang’s purchases. My net payout on $120 in gift cards would cost me $90. That’s pretty much an entire free meal for two.
- California Pizza Kitchen is also giving out a $20 bonus card with the purchase of $100 in gift cards. And just like PF Chang’s, if you’re a Bank of America customer, BankAmeriDeals is offering 10% cash back on your spending in CPK.
- Roy’s is offering a $25 bonus card when you buy $100 in gift cards. If you’re going to Hawaii in the next couple months and can use the bonus card, you can have an extra good meal.
- The Cheesecake Factory’s offer is pretty weak, but if you eat there regularly, you might as well take the free slice of cheesecake they’re offering for each $25 gift card that you purchase. (Side note: I went in to buy a $25 gift card last night. My receipt included a survey code that netted me a $10 eGiftCard. A free $10 gift card AND a slice of cheesecake. Score!!!)
- Yard House will give you a $10 bonus card for each $50 gift card that you buy.
- Panera jumped on the bandwagon, too with a $10 bonus gift card when you buy $100 or more in gift cards. That’s a free meal.
- Chili’s is offering a $10 bonus card when you buy $50 in gift cards.
- Sweet Tomatoes/Souplantation will treat you to a free meal pass for every $50 in gift cards that you buy.
- BJ’s offer is damn near offensive. Don’t waste your money. Who the hell wants some stupid glass?
Always check out the gift card bonuses offered at your favorite restaurants. And make sure to check out the fine print on the bonus gift cards before you buy. They usually are not valid until January 1 and they tend to expire shortly thereafter.